Grazing Manager Position
Woodland Farm is a diversified and progressive farm raising bison, hogs, chickens, and produce in Goshen, Kentucky. We own/manage 2,000+ acres, with our largest enterprise being 450 grass-fed bison on pasture. Woodland Farm is truly a pasture to plate operation, as we finish our own animals on grass, operate our own USDA processing plant, and distribute our meat locally. Our operation is growing, and we are seeking an outstanding individual for Grazing Manager.
This will be a dream position for the right person. We want to invest in your personal success, as you invest in the farm. This position requires a three-year commitment, but we hope you will make a career with us at Woodland Farm. Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsibilities and Scope
- Create and implement two grazing plans (growing season and dormant season) in collaboration with Farm Manager, Operations Manager, and Farm Crew.
- Execute daily moves in all herds of bison, currently 5.
- Monitor and record herd health and condition daily, while checking water and forage availability.
- Maintain inventory or grazing equipment and supplies.
- Adjust practices based on observations, learn from mistakes, and constantly improve.
- Implement and record herd health interventions, such as de-worming.
- Work hours set by season and animal needs. Hours will sometimes be long. You must be passionate about the work. Expected to monitor herds 6 days a week.
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of and a passion for grazing as a tool for building soil health, storing carbon, and raising healthy livestock.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a livestock grazing operation, experience with bison a plus.
- Experience using adaptive/high intensity/rotational grazing techniques and the tools used for this (temporary electric fence, step in posts, wire reels, etc).
- Past grazing management experience preferred.
- Holistic Management experience a huge plus
- Ability to focus on details without losing sight of the big picture, and vice versa.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in miserable weather conditions, lift 50+ pound, and walk many miles a day.
- Must be well organized.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Must have valid driver’s license and experience operating various types of equipment and machinery (trucks, tractors, ATV/UTVs, etc.)
- Basic mechanical knowledge for repairs of equipment.
Salary and Benefits:
- On-farm housing provided (utilities paid by employee, but all wood you can split for free).
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, with room for advancement.
- Health, dental and vision insurance.
- Generous vacation and sick/personal days.
- 401k retirement plan.
- Life insurance.